BersaLive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An online community for Bersa owners, enthusiasts, and non-owners alike -without fear of termination due to one's opinion.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Obama To Push Gun Control Soon

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
duke51

duke51

Obama To Push Gun Control Soon Empty
PostSubject: Obama To Push Gun Control Soon   Obama To Push Gun Control Soon EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 7:50 pm

Back to top Go down
Lance39

Lance39

PostSubject: Re: Obama To Push Gun Control Soon   Obama To Push Gun Control Soon EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 8:19 pm

From the article Duke cited:

"Among the many “fixes” the group has in mind is that “people who have been suspended or expelled from a federally funded college or university because of mental illness” and “people who are compelled by a court to take medication for mental illness or to get other mental health care” would be prohibited from possessing firearms."

Apparently the way to make this work would be to make mental illness a federal offense. In that way, people who are mentally ill would be reported to the F.B.I., thus giving them a criminal record that would show up on an N.I.C.S. check.

Then, once mental illness becomes a federal offense, there will have to be sentencing guidelines for we could not let these criminals walk the streets without the threat of punishment.

Should there be different mandatory sentences for schizophrenics as opposed to, say, a bi-polar individual? And would those with multiple personalities have to serve multiple terms in the pokey?

And what about those inclined to drool on themselves ? (you know who you are) Should they be forced to wear lobster bibs in public?

How about a mandatory life sentence for those with suicidal tendencies? (You couldn't sentence them to death: that would make the judge and/or jury guilty of aiding and abetting.)

Frankly, I think this idea opens up a whole new area for social engineering and I can't wait to hear the comments from Rush, Sean and Sarah.
Back to top Go down
Calvin
Admin
Calvin

PostSubject: Re: Obama To Push Gun Control Soon   Obama To Push Gun Control Soon EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 8:24 pm

well put Erv. i actually know people that have schizoprhenia and/or bi-polar disorder and own guns with clean records.

i wonder when they'll add depression. everyone out of a few has had depression at a time or another, but they didn't reach for the gun to solve the problem. we can thank the Tuscon jackass that shot the congresswoman for alot of the stuff that we're about to see. that was a tipping point, and supposedly she was a gun owner/carrier
Back to top Go down
https://bersalive.forumotion.com
Lance39

Lance39

PostSubject: Re: Obama To Push Gun Control Soon   Obama To Push Gun Control Soon EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 8:43 pm

So far as gun control is concerned I think one significant part of the Arizone shooting was under-reported: That one of those who helped subdue the shooter was licensed to carry, was packing, but DID NOT use the opportunity to "light up" the shooter.

The restraint and responsibility he showed was a credit to all gun owners.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Obama To Push Gun Control Soon   Obama To Push Gun Control Soon EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 8:43 pm

This article is posted at one of our local gun stores. Very dismal times at the moment, not only for people with disorders for the reasons pointed out but for responsible gun owners as well. Hope nothing comes of it.
Back to top Go down
jc57

PostSubject: Re: Obama To Push Gun Control Soon   Obama To Push Gun Control Soon EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 1:24 am

The real tragedy comes from further stigmatizing mental illnesses so that people who really need medical treatment will be even less likely to get the help they need.

As was already posted, many people have gone through a period of what might be called depression in their lives. I remember after my father passed away that for a year or so I was probably clinically depressed. Not suicidal or anything, just had lost the joy of life and a sense of purpose or direction. I didn't seek treatment and eventually worked my way through it.

But there are already too many penalties (try getting life insurance) for being diagnosed with depression. Add the loss of a fundamental constitutional right, and how many people do you think would tell a Doctor they were feeling depressed, if they knew that would put them in a federal database of the mentally ill?

And how many of those might eventually actually commit suicide or suffer for years when they could have been helped by getting treatment or counseling at the right time?

Definitely one of those things where we try to "fix" the one-in-a-million statistical outlier (i.e. the Tucson shooter) and end up causing hardship for hundreds or thousands of others for no reason.
Back to top Go down
Lance39

Lance39

PostSubject: Re: Obama To Push Gun Control Soon   Obama To Push Gun Control Soon EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 7:56 am

When my first child was about to be born the nurses chased me out of my wifes room while they did whatever nurses do. As I sat waiting in the hallway I noticed a blackboard with the names of patients and their status. Next to my wife's name was the word "breech" and I knew that wasn't good.

Soon her doctor arrived. First time I'd seen him, though my wife raved about him. By his swarthy skin he looked to be Middle or Far Eastern and when he called me into the room I learned he still had a great deal of the accent of the country from which he came.

He explained that they would have to do a Caesarian operation and then explained why. Among the other words I tried to make out - as he raised his hands to frame his head - was that a normal delivery of a breech baby often resulted in the baby being "depressed".

Although I said nothing, the thoughts that came to me in that instant were: "So why such a big deal? I get depressed and I get over it."
"Besides, with a baby how the hell do you know when they're depressed?"

Well, obviously, he meant "compressed" but it was one of those moments I'll probably always recall.

By morning I had a fine, uncompressed son.
Back to top Go down
Taz4509

Taz4509

PostSubject: Re: Obama To Push Gun Control Soon   Obama To Push Gun Control Soon EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 4:45 pm

Here comes another danged ammo shortage.
Back to top Go down
duke51

duke51

PostSubject: Re: Obama To Push Gun Control Soon   Obama To Push Gun Control Soon EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 7:09 pm

If they take guns off people they say have issues, what are WE going to do? Crying or Very sad Mad No
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Obama To Push Gun Control Soon   Obama To Push Gun Control Soon Empty

Back to top Go down

Obama To Push Gun Control Soon
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
BersaLive :: Off-Topic :: Political Ramblings-
Jump to: